Thursday, January 08, 2004

Newsday.com - Pakistani-American takes helm as Bernards mayor

Pakistani-American Elected Mayor

Mohammad Ali Chaudry, a Pakistani-American, who was elected to the Bernard NJ township Committee just two months after the September 11 attacks, has become the first Pakistani-American (and South Asian-American) to become mayor, at least to my knowledge, of a municipality in the U.S. (someone please correct me if I am wrong). According to this story from Newsday.com Chaudry served on the township board of education from 1990-95 and helped lead the effort to build a new community center. He was born in Renala Estate in 1942, and came to the U.S. in 1967. He worked for AT&T from 1968-98 as an economist, and hopes to use his business acumen in local government.

It's an opportunity to serve my community, where I have gained a lot for my family," said Chaudry, 62. "I want to be an example and a role model for my country, and for Pakistanis and Muslims who understand what America is all about and why they need to fully integrate with the community.

Congratulations go out to Mohammad Ali Chaudry from DESIBLOG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home