Thursday, January 06, 2005

Its Time to Reprazent!

A certain Philadelphia DJ has decided it is funny to threaten the call center employees that happen to be located in India. It seems that Philadelphia radio station Power 99 DJ's Star and Buc Wild, the wakeup crew, think it's funny to call a Indian call center worker and sexually and racially harass and abuse her ("dirty rat eater??"")).

STAR (morning DJ on Power 99): I was surprised when I got somebody on the line in East India… [on phone] This call has been outsourced to India?
STEENA: That’s right.
STAR: Well, ma’am, what the eff would you know about an American white girl’s — uh, uh — hair? And quick beads.
STEENA: Just to inform you, ma’am, we’re a national chain services company. And we’re just taking calls on the opposite…
STAR: Listen, bitch! Don’t get slick with the mouth! Don’t you get slick with me, bitch!
STEENA: Now if you continue to speak this language, I will disconnect the call.
STAR: Listen to me, you dirty rat eater. I’ll come out there and choke the eff out of you. (laughter)
STAR: You’re a filthy rat eater. I’m calling about my American six year old white girl [Star is black]. How dare you outsource my call? Get off the line, bitch! (laughter, applause)


It turns out, STAR, whose real name is Troi Torain is a hypocrite however, when it comes to racism. A couple of years ago, when JLO casually used the N word in one of her songs, Torain was up in arms, calling her "common Bronx trash." "I'm sure a lot of young Spanish kids use the N-word, but when you reach her level -- a level where you have a platform -- why is she using a word that's derogatory to blacks?" he told the Post. "If you're a so-called role model, don't spit in the face of African-Americans." Read the story here.

But, I guess it is ok to trash on Indians.

Read more about this from Sepia Mutiny here.

If you live in Philadelphia, listen to the show to find out who sponsors it, and call them to complain. We have to let them know that racism in any form is not ok. These guys should be unemployed for acting in such a crass and unprofessional manner.

And here is the radio stations info so that you can file a complaint.
Philadelphia, WUSL

Business line: 215.483.8900
Studio hotline (toll-free): 800.669.99FM
Studio hotline (local): 215.263.6699

Attention: Richard Lewis & Thea Mitchem
Power99 WUSL-FM
440 Domino Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19128

Director of Urban Programming/Program Director: Thea Mitchem
Music Director: Coka Lani
News & Public Affairs Director: Loraine Ballard Morrill


UPDATE To ensure something is done, I ask that all DESIBLOG readers listed to the clip, read the transcript and channel your outrage into an eloquent letter/email to the radio staion above, and to the FCC. I will paste a sample email below, similar to the email I sent the FCC and Chairman Michael Powell. The general complaint email address is fccinfo@fcc.gov, and Chairman Powell's is Michael.Powell@fcc.gov. Make sure you include both. And below is a sample email.

Dear Chairman Powell:

I would like to bring to your attention a gross violation of decency standards that recently occurred on a Philadelphia radio station. It has been brought to my attention that on a recent Star & Buc Wild morning show on Philadelphia's Power 99, Star, whose real name is Troi Torain, called and violently threatened the life of a call center employee in India. After a couple of days, the mp3 file of the phone call was removed from their website, but was captured and is available at the URL below. I am a champion of free speech, but when that speech becomes hateful, vulgar, and threatening, that is where I draw the line. http://www.edrants.com/_mp3/Power99_Call_to_India.mp3

It appears to me that the FCC should become involved, and at a minimum enact some sort of punishment for this clear violation of conduct, and racist and vulgar behavior, totally inappropriate for American radio. I am pasting a transcript of the phone conversation below. The call center employee's name is allegedly Steena.

STAR (morning DJ on Power 99): I was surprised when I got somebody on the line in East India… [on phone] This call has been outsourced to India?
STEENA: That’s right.
STAR: Well, ma’am, what the eff would you know about an American white girl’s — uh, uh — hair? And quick beads.
STEENA: Just to inform you, ma’am, we’re a national chain services company. And we’re just taking calls on the opposite…
STAR: Listen, bitch! Don’t get slick with the mouth! Don’t you get slick with me, bitch!
STEENA: Now if you continue to speak this language, I will disconnect the call.
STAR: Listen to me, you dirty rat eater. I’ll come out there and choke the eff out of you. (laughter)
STAR: You’re a filthy rat eater. I’m calling about my American six year old white girl [Star is black]. How dare you outsource my call? Get off the line, bitch! (laughter, applause)

Thank you for your attention in this matter, and I hope that something can be done to rectify this situation.

Sincerely Yours,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home