Saturday, January 06, 2007

DesiDeals.net

Like many desis, I love me some deals. I know I am playing into stereotypes here, especially because I am Gujarati, but come on EVERYONE likes good deals. The enjoyment for me isn’t just finding a good deal, but the whole process: it is the hunt, the chase, and the glory in opening the mail and finding that rebate check that you thought might not ever come. Suffice it to say, I spend a good percentage of my time on the internets perusing some favorite deal sites.

But while I like finding good deals, one of my pet peeves is really poor customer service and the feeling that I have been taken advantage of. So when I was visiting one of my new favorite deal/consumer rights blogs, The Consumerist, (part of the Gawker family of blogs) I was a bit dismayed to hear the tale of our desi brethren, Manesh, who reported on his parent’s really poor experience on United Airlines.

Manesh's parents flew from Omaha, Nebraska to Colombo,Sri Lanka, but at LAX, United Airlines (UAL) refused to honor their tickets, saying that they had not "been approved, authorized and authenticated." The family ended having to pay $2860 extra to complete their journey. Apparently, Sri Lankan Air Lines, a United code-share partner, could not find the reservation Manesh's parents made. Manesh wrote three letters of complaint to UAL and so far his parents have only received two $300 coupons in return. When Manesh scoffed at the sum, United wrote, "our policy does not permit us to respond with the generosity you had anticipated. (link)

It seems that instead of writing letters, which I am a big fan of, now when desis are wronged, we blog. So as a good South Asian, Manesh has started his own blog detailing his battle with United Airlines’ Customer service at evilunitedairlines.blogspot.com. His story is really messed up and I hope the airlines eventually do the right thing and refund the extra three grand his recently operated-on parents had to hand over to get home.

11 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Mohammed said...

Join! The Hottest Desi Social Networking Site, The Official News, Photos, Music, Videos, Gossip, Highlights!

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Mohammed said...

http://www.desi24.ning.com

JOIN! The Hottest Desi Social Networking Site, The Official News, Photos, Music, Videos, Gossip, Highlights!

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous HP Coupons said...

Also check out http://www.pccounter.net for great deals, bargains and coupons on tech products

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out these great deals online

bargains

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Animation courses said...

Thanks for writing in such an encouraging post. I had a glimpse of it and couldn’t stop reading till I finished. I have already bookmarked you.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous web designing courses said...

The post is handsomely written. I have bookmarked you for keeping abreast with your new posts.

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger rosen said...

Developing computer software is not easy at all. Apart from developing the concept behind the software, computer software engineers would also have to come up with the ways and means for this concept to be fully applied by the software itself that they are developing.STC Technologies

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous DrugstoreCoupon said...

Thanks for great share! I suggest another hot deal site is Drugstore. DesiDeals, you can update more deals and coupons of it

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Luiz Gustavo Mori said...

Nice content.

SEO Company, Cheap SEO Services

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger pro in seo said...

Awesome thanks for sharing.
proinseo
professional seo sevices

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger desimunda said...

that awesome blogspot for desimundays
https://www.anmolseo.agency/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home