Friday, August 01, 2003

Bend it Like Beckham At Theatres Everywhere

I know I wrote about this before, but since it is getting yet another release because of its tremendous success in America thus far, I wanted to highlight Gurinder Chadha’s Bend it Like Beckham once again. I have seen this film, and now that I am typing this it sounds a little obsessive, at least ten times. If you haven’t seen it yet, please do, it is a great film, and in my opinion, has done a tremendous amount for familiarizing the West to South Asians and South Asian culture/music.

In the end though, I think Chadha’s films do more to show us how similar at the core all people are, whether we are Indian, American, British, or whatever. Congratulations again to Gurinder Chadha, and if you enjoy good bhangra tunes, catchy and hilarious dialogue, and the cool British accent, please do go see this movie.

Just a sidenote, I think this is the third time this movie is being released, this time I think trying to capitalize on the success of Keira Knightley's role in Pirates of the Caribbean. I wonder if it will be re-released yet again, when Parminder Nagra debut's on ER.

For my friends on the South Asian Journalists Association (SAJA), who often try and guess who will be the first South Asian host of Saturday Night Live, I again have to check my vote for Parminder Nagra--does anyone else out there have any guess's? If so, either email me, or put them in the comments. I can make a listing and take my own little straw poll.


Last thing. Why do all ethnic films have to be labelled as "My Big Fat...(fill in the blank)?" Just because a movie has to do with non-White Americans, or cultural/generational gaps, does not mean the film is My Big Fat Indian Wedding, or My Big Fat Indian futbol game. Personally, I think newspaper editors, and scriptwriters for the news anchors need to be fired, or get more creative. Enough with the My Big Fat Greek Wedding comparisons!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home