Thursday, September 26, 2002

Transforming into the MASSIVE
My new article is posted on the Satya Circle. I basically am writing about this burgeoning South Asian culture that is growing both inside and outside India. While I focus more on the diaspora, I have begun to think how interesting cultural shifts are. Many of the immigrants who have come to the U.S. from India, for example, in the 70's have this convoluted vision of what India is. Mainly, and this is a real difficult change for people to accept, but many of these immigrants have a nostalgic view of India, that India has remained unchanged since they left, 20+ years ago.

But I digress, my article focuses on the shifts, and then on the Asian Massive Tour. An electronic musical collective, full of electric tablas, cd decks, computers, and turtables, among other things, that dlurs the line between South Asian sounds, and modern dance music. For me, this sound is brilliant. The core participants of the tour, are DJ Cheb i Sabbah, Karsh Kale, and the New Delhi duo, the MIDIval PunditZ, comprised of Gaurav Raina and Tapan Raj. I had an opportunity to speak with the artists last Saturday, and wanted to thank then publicly for their time. I thought we had a really interesting conversation, and it added a lot to the essay.

Links to all these sites, as well as the album reviews I did for Karsh's and Cheb i Sabbah's albums can also be found at my story on the Satya Circle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home