Thursday, August 28, 2003

Christopher Hitchens on the 10 Commandments story


Sometimes, he really annoys me, but I found myself enjoying Christopher Hitchen's latest on the Alabama 10 Commandments story published on Slate.com

Here is an excerpt:

"The first four of the commandments have little to do with either law or morality, and the first three suggest a terrific insecurity on the part of the person supposedly issuing them. I am the lord thy god and thou shalt have no other ... no graven images ... no taking of my name in vain: surely these could have been compressed into a more general injunction to show respect. The ensuing order to set aside a holy day is scarcely a moral or ethical one, unless you assume that other days are somehow profane. "



click here for more

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home